Thursday, January 17, 2013

Privyet! Bilbonigyeh Bagginseroffsky

Bilbo unsuccessfully declining to adventure with some crazy ass wizard. Image credit: Shore Leave Media
Leave it to the Soviets to make the Hobbit look like it's been sanitized of bourgeois extravagance, like good acting, directing, sets, presentation, &c., &c.

I didn't quite know what to make of this piece when I came across it, until I read the description. The subtitles you're looking at are not exactly accurate, though perhaps they capture the spirit of the Soviet version - my Russian's a little rusty, so I'll have to take the poster's word for it when he says in the comments:
1985 Soviet version of The Hobbit. Subtitled in English by me for the Russian-impaired.
The me in question here is Greg Steele, who is a humorist and cartoonist. He is the creator of These Bears Are Happy.   Check it out and get as happy as those bears... unless you'd really rather keep smoking weed...

No comments:

Post a Comment